Seedlings For Colour
Bedding plants in seedling trays and colour bags provide an instant and ready-to use option to add colour to the garden and patio. The range in flower & foliage colour and form is endless and theres a perfect plant for every place. Although spring and autumn are the main planting months, seedlings are available throughout the year to bring charm, interest and colour to beds, baskets and pots.
Take care to choose the right plant for the right position full sun (all day), semi-shade (dappled sun or shade during the heat of the day) or shade (very little or no sun).
Preparing Flower Beds for Seedlings
- Correct soil preparation is very important. Bedding plants grow quickly to complete their life cycle and therefore require a rich soil.
- Dig over the area to about 30cm deep, remove weeds and stones and break up clods.
- Add a 5cm layer of compost and 100g bone meal/superphosphate per m². Work into the soil and water lightly.
- Water seedlings in their trays before transplanting, preferably in the late afternoon during hot summer days.
- Ease seedlings out of the trays without hurting the root system.
- Use a trowel to make holes and plant at the same depth as before (dont bury the stem). Firm down the soil around the plant. Planting space between the seedlings will be indicated on the seedling tray marker.
- Water thoroughly and gently with a fine mist spray twice a day at first and gradually decreasing. Avoid watering in the heat of the day.
- Mulch between plants to keep soil cool and damp.
- Fertilise every two weeks with one of our wide range of organic fertilisers.
- Pinch out shoot tips to encourage bushiness.
- Remove dead flower heads regularly to promote continued flowering.